Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday Five: Life is a Verb


Jan says" Jennifer recommended this book, which I got because I always value Jennifer's reading suggestions. The author of Life is a Verb, Patti Digh worked her book around these topics concerning life as a verb:
Say yes.
Be generous.
Speak up.
Love more.
Trust yourself.
Slow down. As I read and pondered about living more intentionally, I also have wondered what this Friday Five should be. This book has been the jumping off point for this Friday."


I loved the title of this Friday Five! Just last week "cake" became a verb in my life as I was caked several times over on my birthday in a way that did have great intentionality and gave me foo for thought as well as great enjoyment on many levels. So this seems very timely.....


1. What awakens you to the present moment? I think I'd have to say remembering to choose to be awake. Sometimes this happens spontaneously, and sometimes requires the help of the little reminders I keep around me of the times when I was awake. When my spiritual disciplines are going well it is more effortless and tends to be more flowing and natural and there are fewer times when I have to "ping" myself gently and say, "Kate, it's life, wake up, you are missing it!"


2. What are 5 things you see out your window right now? I am cheating a little and including the things I see in my window because I am at work and have a lovely view of a parking lot....IN the window are two plants and several rocks and crystals that come from various places I have been when I was....yes...awake! Also there are a star that says "hope" and a tiny metal plaque that is inscribed "Love with an open heart" that was an ordination gift. A cross with prisms that make rainbows on my wall in the afternoon sun hangs from the blinds.


3. Which verbs describe your experience of God? Personal, energetic, loving, endless, faithful, knowable and not knowable, deeper and deeper still, quirky


4. From the book on p. 197:Who were you when you were 13? Where did that kid go? A shy, smart dreamer, a budding theologian, a poet, a musician, an artist. A young girl trying to find her way. Unfortunately she got lost doing so and wandered for many years after having met with some unfortunate detours and difficult circumstances that stifled and silenced her....for a time. The good news is that she has found her self and her voice and claimed her creativity and she is found and being nurtured into full expression.


5. From the book on p. 88:If your work were the answer to a question, what would the question be? What is the thing that you never knew you wanted, sought for a long a time, finally found and would do even if no one paid you. (This is true of both of my "jobs" as therapist and priest).


Bonus idea for you here or on your own--from the book on p. 149:"Go outside. Walk slowly forward. Open your hand and let something fall into it from the sky. It might be an idea, it might be an object. Name it. Set it aside. Walk forward. Open your hand and let something fall into it from the sky. Name it. Set it aside. Repeat. . . ." I think I'll save this one....based on my car, all that seems to fall from the sky with any regularity here comes from the bottoms of birdies. 'Nuf said.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Awesome play. I love the answer to #4.

altar ego said...

Your words crystalized for me something about the process of growth, for which I thank you. I feel more hopeful about living into that place of fullness of which you write.

Blessings.

Jan said...

I love the idea of being "caked." So glad you were!

I've always liked the word "quirky," and so it is interesting to think of God as being thus.

revhipchick said...

wonderful play. it's great to hear that your 13 year old has survived and grown into a wonderful woman.

Rev SS said...

Great play! My answer to #5 would be the same as yours!

Jane said...

Your question is brilliant - thank you. Very helpful for me in a difficult situation at work at the moment

mid-life rookie said...

I too have to sometimes be intentional about being "awake." Glad you had a blessed birthday.