For this Friday Five please let us know five of the things that mark the season for you.
- Light. Whether sparkling on trees, lighting the dark winter night or glowing from our candles in the sanctuary as we sing Silent Night, it's all about the light.
- Music. From the glorious and sublime (think Handel's Messiah done well) to the sappy and sentimental (the Charlie Brown kids caroling), yep...it's all Christmas
- Music...subpart 1a...Lessons and Carols. Very special and sacred part of the Christmas tradition at our little church. Bittersweet this year for more than one reason. Likely a blog post to come.
- Must. Surprise. Someone. There has to be something, somehow every year that has that element. Some gift, some activity, something I can pull off that has an element of surprise and hopefully joy and whimsy
- Feeding people. Whether it's a meal or cookies at home, or helping my Presbyterian friends with the Christmas dinner, it's just not right unless someone gets fed!
That would have to be the GIANT tasteless conglomerations of decorations people put together that light up the countryside for miles, don't go together in any meaningful way and seem to just exist to be bigger than the next guys.