Friday, May 20, 2011

Friday Five: Words

Jan says, "Since January our Sunday Spiritual Formation hour (or Sunday School) has been devoted each week to the presenter's description of a word that describes passion/love or something. No one knows who will be presenting or what the topic will be ahead of time! Each session has been invigorating in a different way. Last week's speaker talked about "words" and finished our time by asking each one of us what "word" we wanted to share--a favorite one." So my suggestion for today's Friday Five is to write about 5 words you really like. Please explain why you have chosen each word, in such ways as, it is a: description or attribute of yourself, activity you enjoy,word that is spelled or pronounced in an interesting way,passion of yours, word that brings you hope, peace, or comfort, word you like to repeat or sing."

This was fun and thought-provoking....Here's my top five word list:
Hope Hope is a word I build a lot of my life around.  I preach about hope. I use hope in my therapy practice as I believe that one of my main jobs is to try to offer/provide/instill/hold hope when often there is little or none present when people present themselves to me.  I often tell people that part of my job is to be the "hope-holder."  To keep hope for them when they have none for themselves until they do or can.

Alleluia This is a word I love to sing (and to say, too.)  We were just saying at church last week how glad we were to have our Alleluias back in the service and how we missed them in Lent.  There is an Anthem we sometimes sing around Easter that has pretty much no other words than that...alleluia. And then of course there is Handel. He has other words, but the one that grabs us right from the get go is that one (with an H for good measure!)

Context A word I use a lot because I think it is very important not to overlook. Things and people must be considered in/not taken out of it.  Bits and pieces out of context are random and easily misinterpreted and misleading I also like it because it has a relationship to the word texture which makes things interesting, as does context.

Perseverate A word I learned way back in counseling school that means to keep repeating something over and over. Since I often do this very thing it's nice to have a fifty-cent word to be able to tell people what I am doing as in "Yes, I have been perseverating on the Easter 5 sermon for several days now."

Geocaching This one meets a couple categories.  It's a fun word to say, and something I enjoy doing! My Geocaching name is RevKatKacher and my hubby and I love going looking for caches both here at home and when travelling.  I've also gone caching while on RevGal adventures and got my first international cache this year on the BE4.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Context. Oh, yes!

Sharon said...

Holding hope is such a beautiful thing! And I just learned the definition of "geocache" (noun and verb) on BE 4.0. Very wonderful list, Kate!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Oh my yes...context in all things/situations. I "teach" context when I am doing my spiritual reflections class on scriptures.