Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday Five: To Do Lists

Jan says: "Ever since I was little, I heard that Santa is making a list and checking it twice. I can see why he has to keep checking it, because there is so much to do before Christmas! Only nine days left, and I don't have church services to plan, but there is much left to be done. My daughter-in-law tells me that she feels behind, which is how I have been feeling. No matter how organized you are, there must be some things you still need to do. For this Friday Five, tell us five things on your Christmas "To Do" List. Include anything you have decided to skip doing this year. As a bonus, give us something that helps you remember why this season even exists"

There has been a lot in this Advent that has involved waiting and "unsettledness" in my life. I don't feel particularly rushed or harried, nor do I feel overly "Christmasy" just yet. But this is what is on my to do list right now:

  • Mail the packages.  Yes we are a bit late on this, but they will go first class and should arrive on time.
  • Go "shopping" on the Episcopal Relief and Development website.  Such a lovely dilemma...shall I send bees or a goat to my friends this year?  Or perhaps malaria preventing mosquito bed nets, those are always in style!
  • Figure out the menu for Christmas Eve and Day.  It will be "just us" this year...so rally not such a big chore.
  • Send cards.  I WILL get them in the mail before Christmas this year...really I will,
  • Decide which service(s) to attend.  We have two church homes right now and between them we have six choices over Christmas Eve and Day.  A plethora of riches!
We are "not doing" a lot this year.  Much of this is because of our move.  The old places, people and traditions are there and we are not.  R has suggested that we begin to develop some new holiday traditions,  so this Sunday we are going to a Christmas play on a showboat, then off to Lessons and Carols at one of our churches as the beginning of that process!  Lessons and Carols was "the thing" for me for so many years that really got my Christmas juices flowing.  My last year at St. J's it was co-opted by several things, so I'm hoping that going and hearing that lovely music and the traditional readings at the "church of my heart" help me in the remembering what it's all about process.

No comments: