Kathrynzj says: "There's a birthday for an adult member of my family today. I will admit, I'm not very good at celebrating birthdays. Sadly, the adults in my life have suffered from this affliction. I do manage to rally for my son (now age 7). I could bore you with my own personal history of birthday laments which may have led to this attitude... but I won't (you're welcome). Instead I'd love to hear your birthday memories."
1) What is the first birthday you remember? I think I remember my seventh. There was a party of little girls from school and the neighborhood. Someone had a tantrum, someone threw up, someone's mommy had to come get her because she didn't have her party manners on. We played Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
2) Do you recall a favorite gift? While it was not technically a birthday gift, it did replace one, so I think it counts. The bike from R has to be one of the best gifts ever. You can read the story here: http://prairielight.blogspot.com/2009/08/bike-story.html
3) Has anyone ever tried to surprise you for your birthday? Did it work? Was it fun? Oh yes...once. Fun? Mmmm, don't know if that is the word I'd pick. Memorable maybe. My roommate did manage to pull off the getting the people there without my knowing pretty well. There is a picture of me as they all jump out and I look properly surprised. Then she also decided to further surprise me with those candles that won't blow out. That was where things really got surprising! The candles did what they were supposed to do, relit and relit...right down into the sugar frosting, which started to burn, which set off the smoke detector. The only way to stop the firs was to pour water on the cake and the only way to silence the smoke detector in our old house was to hit the circuit breaker. So while one person was running for water to drown the cake, another was hitting the lights. We went from bright, burning, blaring chaos to sudden silence in complete darkness. Once the lights came back on we surveyed the damage. The once lovely cake now said "Ha B...........Y" amidst globs of burnt flowers. It was pretty much a loss. As one of my friends said, "well, it was pretty surprising."
4) Do you have a favorite birthday dessert? It used to be a toss-up between good cheesecake (baked please, very dense, NOT the jello version, and NO toppings) and Dairy Queen cake, but since the arrival of the Sweet Husband who makes the most amazing cakes, I think it would be his lemon layer cake.
5) Describe what would be your 'perfect birthday' Right now? A quiet day, just the two of us. Sleeping in, then maybe a little day trip somewhere. Just meandering, talking, laughing, good food at some point along the way. That would do it.