Sunday, May 20, 2007

I am back at church today. Back celebrating and preaching and feeling so content and blessed that it is so. I have been ordained eight months now, and I’m sure there are some who would say I am in some honeymoon period, and that my starry-eyed wonder over some of this will wear off with time. To them I would reply that I hope and pray not. Some days as we begin the procession up the aisle behind the crucifer, I have a wild moment of wondering where the priest is before I remember that it is I! Other Sundays, as I sit listening to the readings, or stand waiting for the gifts to be brought up, I have these moments of total holy wonder, having almost to pinch myself to assure myself that, yes, it is real, I am here, doing this incredible thing in this place. I am a priest at last and forever. I will admit, sometimes it has been a steep learning curve. In this eight months of “post-ordination formation” the Spirit has been leading me on a merry chase. There is so much to do, so much to learn, so much to love. So many “firsts” to remember. The whole mad whirl of each of the liturgical seasons and festivals, Advent and Christmas, Lent and Easter. Celebrating the late Christmas service….such joy that was as it was always the highlight and mainstay of Christmas to go to midnight Mass. And now to have the privilege of being the celebrant at this very special and beautiful service was so amazing! And on Easter, baptizing my first baby. She was an angel and slept through the whole thing! Every day there is a new challenge. Every day there is a new grace realized. Functioning as part of a ministry team that has three priests and three lay ministers, with five of us, including the three clergy having full time jobs outside the church leads to some interesting times. It gets wild and crazy trying to keep the schedule going and the communication happening. Thanks be to God for e-mail! And a patient congregation who loves and accept us as we are! I am counting blessings and they number many!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Oh, I'm glad you are blogging...We seem, despite wildly different contexts, to have the same sort of joy in ministry and elements of the same journey.