Saturday, July 03, 2010

Things Saved

Thinking about this July theme....and my junk drawers...yes drawers plural.  I have three, at least, that actually have that designation.  one in the kitchen that has the usual assortment of keys that no longer belong to locks, twist ties, and other miscellaneous stuff that really has no home elsewhere.  The other two are the top "mini-drawers" of my dresser.  Too small to really be useful for much else, they have come to be the homes of all the stuff I don't really know what else to do with.  Things I probably don't really need, am not sure I want but can't really bring myself to part with.  For example the extra buttons that come with things. Those always present a little dilemma for me....to keep or not to?  I rarely ever use them, or if I need them, can find them, and yet, it seems "wasteful" to just pitch them in the trash with the tags when I bring something home from the store.  So, they often go into those drawers.  Also in there is broken jewelry.  I have trouble parting with that, too.  Now we are not talking about valuable stuff here, but the likes of broken chains beaded bracelets that have come unbeaded. Also in there are old wallets, key chains, hair accessories that my hair will never use again, some cards from old friends, a few keys that haven't made their way to the "other" junk drawer, pens,  miscellaneous receipts and other pieces of paper.  I try halfheartedly now and again to purge these drawers, but there is always stuff that comes out that I look at for a time, have some conversation with myself about along the lines of, "Kate, why on earth are you keeping this?" and then back it goes to be saved for another day.

I don't know what any of this says about me, if anything.  There was a point in my life that I got kind of ruthless in purging "excess" things from my life, in getting neat and tidy and organized.  I had labels on my pantry and fridge shelves and woe betide anyone who put the mustard in the dairy area. Seriously!  I know now that I was a little over the top with all that.  I was trying to assume some control over what felt very much out of it.  Our fridge and pantry are now in glorious disarray and the rest of the house looks pretty lived in most of the time. But my purge never made it to the junk drawers somehow, and even if it had, somehow I think they might have been immune.  My little savings corner somehow...who knows.  But there will likely be a move in our future at some point.  And that is good motivation for clearing out.  When it costs good money to move it, sometimes the definition of what is a "keeper" changes.  But for now..."saved" stays on that particular odd collection.

1 comment:

Terri said...

After two big moves in two years I have purged "those" drawers, and then some. But I suspect one day I will begin new ones...somehow I think it's in our DNA to store a little of this or that...