Songbird says,"Welcome to your irregularly scheduled Fifth Friday Five, hosted by will smama and Songbird!Since will smama is preparing for a joint garage sale with her parents, and Songbird's church had a Yard and Plant Sale last Saturday, we have five enormously important questions we hope you will answer:"
1) Are you a garage saler? Yes and no. There have been times in my life when I have been "seriously into" garage sales and they have played an inportant part in furnishing my places and clothing me. Now that I am in purge mode I am avoiding all sources of acquisition of "more stuff," garage sales included.
2) If so, are you an immediate buyer or a risk taker who comes back later when prices are lower? I usually go to sales in clumps, making a circuit, so if I see something, I buy it, cuz I'm not coming back!
3) Seriously, if you're not a garage saler, you are probably not going to want to play this one.(That wasn't really #3.)
3) This is the real #3: What's the best treasure you've found at a yard or garage sale? 50 cent blue Italian sandals. They were cute, comfortable and well... Italian!
4)If you've done one yourself, at church or at home, was it worth the effort? Some have been, some have not, and it's always hard to predict. Weather, traffic, the stuff you have vs the stuff they want....it's such an amorphous mix! I'm in discernment about this very thing right now as I watch the "to go" pile grow on the porch....garage sale or Goodwill? Just don't know.
5) Can you bring yourself to haggle? Absolutely, it's half the fun!
BONUS: For the true aficionado: Please discuss the impact of Ebay, Craig's List, Freecycle, etc... on the church or home yard/garage sale. Clearly I don't make this cut as my first response was, "there's an impact?"