Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday 5 -- Decluttering Edition

Sally writes: With Jo, Jon and Chris all moving to college and University accommodation there has been a big clear up going on in the Coleman household. We have been sorting and trying hard not just to junk stuff, but actually to get it to where it can be useful. On a brighter note we have used Freecycle ( check it out) to provide the twins with pots and pans etc that other folk were clearing out.

Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...

With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5;

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist? I am, I fear a bit of a hoarder with minimalist aspirations. As I preached a couple weeks ago, I know the "stuff" (internal and external) has to go. It's just the doing that's challenging!

2. Name one important object ( could be an heirloom) that you will never part with. My mother's engagement ring, circa 1920. I wear it always, it connects me with her, with my past.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit??? An aqua long-sleeve T-shirt that I bought at a long-ago Ren Fest....fifteen years ago at least! It has a lovely dragony design on it. At various points it has fit and not. I am proud to say that now it does!

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ? Mixed, depending on mood as far as attending. Do NOT like having them, far too much work for little pay off.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into. Trying to get my workplace to get better at recycling paper (we do well with cans, etc.) and trying to get back into composting at home.

And for a bonus- well anything you want to add.... I love the "seven things" concept and have it as an intention for my life for some point in the not too distant future.

7 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Loved the image of connection with your mom's past and your legacy with that.

Jan said...

YAY--that you can fit into the dragon design shirt! I liked the phrase that "the doing that's challenging." Ditto. I also congratulate for trying to get your workplace into a more recycling mode.

Terri said...

love that you have and wear your mother's engagment ring.

and, the only thing I dislike more than garage sales, church rummage sales....too much work indeed.

glad to have back home safe and sound and posting again! All I need is some time read everything.

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm interesting in learning more about the 7 things....

RevDrKate said...

I know that someone blogged about the seven things at length...had a whole BLOG about it, but I can't remember who. Sally mentioned it recently. It has something to do with eliminating seven things a week (?) from your life (I think). I need to find out more, also.

Anonymous said...

I dropped by yesterday... but didn't have time to leave a comment. Nice play... I'll be interested in hearing more about the 7 things!

RevDrKate said...

More infomration about the seven things project that Earthchick created is here. I think I should pick a start date!