Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday Five:Reverendmother's Swan Song

I have recently been told by someone who knows me well that I do not play enough. I'm guessing she'd get no argument from the blog readers! So despite the hectic week, I thought I'd at least take a few minutes to play this thought-provoking but fun Friday Five!

Reverendmother writes: Well friends, as I prepare for the birth of Bonus Baby, it's time to simplify life, step back from the Friday Five, and let one of the other capable and creative RevGals take the helm. It's been a great almost 17 months of co-hosting the F5, but it's time to say goodbye... so here's my swan song.

On Endings and Goodbyes:
1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show: Dorothy goes home. But not until she learns that it was in her power to do so all along. And isn't it a good thing she didn't know that sooner? Because think of all the great stuff she would have missed on the journey!

2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show: Can't think of one specifically, but I have a pet peeve about books that feel like the author just got tired of writing them and give them some dumb, glib, "oh come on, now!" kind of ending that makes you wish you had never started reading it in the first place! You come to care about the characters and then they just get kind of dumped in the end. Grates on me!

3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you've experienced. This one was memorable for the fact that it was a gut-sock, and a good lesson on how not to. A friend (G of earlier blog post fame) decided to move on after sixteen years in my life, and to sever all ties. One day out of the blue, she sent me a six line letter with no return address to tell me. It was very memorable.

4. Is it true that "all good things must come to an end"? Well good or bad, everything, eventually does, on the one hand. There is death. But then on the other, we believe there is life after, so maybe not.

5. "Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it." --Anne Lamott Discuss. There was once a time. Bless yoga and meditation for making letting go and surrendering easier. Not entirely painless , not "once and we're done," but certainly less fraught and, I hope, more graceful and grace filled.

Bonus: "It isn't over until the fat lady sings." I've never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: "It isn't over until the paperwork is done" in my several worlds! Especially this week.

6 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Good play. #2 is where it is for me also...when it seems like the writers just "tack" on an ending.

Jan said...

I can see the bonus question in your life right now! I am struck by the shock of losing a friend so suddenly like that--through the "friend's" choice. How hard. Thanks for playing.

Terri said...

woa, I can't believe "G" did that (whoever she is). I mean wow that just leaves ya helpless. (I'm a little stunned just reading about it).

Barbara B. said...

Yes, that 'memorable goodbye' truly sucked! No other words for that.

(I agree -- the ending of Oz was great!!!)

Diane M. Roth said...

I agree on #3. wow. what a "friend" after 16 years. you are gracious to have learned something from it.

Anonymous said...

There's so much meaning in the Wizard of Oz--thanks for bringing back some memories!