Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Picture is Worth....Well Something I Hope!


Saturday I went to one of the most inspiring and wonderful workshops I have ever attended. It rates (and will have soon) a longer and more thoughtful post. A thought that stays with me from Bonnie Anderson, head of our House of Deputies (the lay leadership arm of our church): The baptismal covenant is a call to action, our marching orders as Christians. Not a "been there, done that. " But a "Be HERE. Do THIS." She was awesome and amazing. As were the speakers from Episcopal Relief and Development, Episcopalians for Global Reconciliation and TEC's Office of Governmental Relations (who appeared together on a panel!) And the local folks who did workshops were just as splendid. I was so proud of my diocese and my church.

And then for a complete change of pace it was off to the Ren Fest where a good time was had by all. The Morris dancers have always been among my favorites so I was really excited to find out that they were performing right in front of my friend's booth where I was "stationed" for the day helping her out in her brass rubbing business. The weather was gorgeous, the people were all happy to be out enjoying the day. It was a complete departure from the real world. What's not to like!

And then Monday it was off to the burbs of Minneapolis for the RevGal Brunch! Over some great lingonberry pancakes, Diane and I got a chance to meet in the non-virtual world. Her husband joined us for the eating part of our adventure and graciously took a (sort of distant-on-purpose) picture of us. Diane is holding a brass rubbing of the four gospels from M's brasses that I rubbed! More to come on this meetup as well!

After good food and great conversation it was off to the King's House Retreat Center where we hold our clergy conference. This picture was taken there last spring. I didn't take pictures this time as it rained almost the whole time we were there. King's House (which is run by the OMI brothers familiar to some of you) is on a lake and has some lovely places to sit and reflect as well as to walk during free time, so it was a little disappointing to be cooped up inside. But there was lots to do to get ready for our panel, and of course there is always the book store, which is open around the clock and runs on the honor system. Hey if you can't do it at a retreat house.....

And here it is Wednesday again....and there is so much to write about. My heart and soul are full, as is my brain. I am inspired about ministry, mission, developing a Spirit-filled congregation. I wish I could take the time to write about it all now. But there is a lecture with my name on it and a Power Point for tomorrow that has to take precedence. So pictures and a few notes will do for now with a promise to myself of more to come.






11 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I just posted about our meeting, Kate! and it was about the most exciting part of my weekend (unlike yours).

Katherine E. said...

Oh, so great to read your post, Kate. We've been missing you! And how neat to see you and Diane together!! Looking forward to more...

Rev SS said...

Thanks for sharing about your workshops (love the quote "baptism a call to action") and the pictures ... great shot of you and Diane. Looking forward to hearing more. Serena

Fran said...

I am a regular over at Diane's blog. And as a Catholic, I am jealous. Can I be a RevGal too?!

I kid- for now I live vicariously due to the inanity of my, well whatever. You understand.

Great post- great photo!

more cows than people said...

sounds great! all of it!

blogger meet-ups rock, no?

RevDrKate said...

Diane, I thought the trip to the dogpark with Scout was right up there!

I missed you all! I was completely off-line for five days, longest since I've been a blogger. It's a new kind of homesick.

Fran we will adopt you.

Definitely, MC, they do indeed! We talked blog....poor husband!

Diane M. Roth said...

absolutely, we will adopt Fran. I don't see why not.

Gannet Girl said...

Oh, wow! Who is who in the pic? Maybe I should know the answer, but I don't think I do.

RevDrKate said...

Diane's in the white shirt.

Fran said...

Thanks RevDrKate!

Josephine- said...

Wow great update, I'm waiting eagerly for the further details. :)