Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's Wednesday Again...


And it's the end of another month, one in which we reflect particularly on life and death. All Hallows, All Saints, Day of the Dead, the waning of the light, the waning of the year. And for me the waning of a school semester that I will not be sorry to see go. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, I find I'm spending a fair of time urging time forward as far as school is concerned, and that has been a little hard on my consciousness. Especially in this part of the year, as we are moving toward winter, the season that is not my favorite. The whole school business continues to be a little disconnect in my life, a jarring note, but then on the other hand it's not, as it has been a significant learning experience for the teacher that merits and will have it's own post....later....as soon as life slows down.


We will celebrate our All Hallows Eve Service tonight, a tradition in our small church. We carved the pumpkins that will grace the steps and altar. The church will be lit only by candles, we will read the The Witches of Endor andThe Valley of the Dry Bones and sing "Dem Bones" and other songs and hymns. We will pray psalms and remember the dead and our own mortality on this thin night. Then we will retire to the undercroft and celebrate our current incarnated selves with cider and cookies.


I am so aware of how quickly time is passing. On the one hand there is that good thing about school being done and having more time (or so I tell myself). But sometimes there is this little frission of panic that rises up about that time...it is just so....gone....and there is so much life yet to be done. My life is so abundant, so much more and better now than it has ever been. I feel like I came late to the party, and sometimes I have a sense of sadness about that mixed with the great gratitude that I got to come at all.


All Saints’ Day November 1
Almighty God, you have knit together your elect in one
communion and fellowship in the mystical body of your Son
Christ our Lord: Give us grace so to follow your blessed saints
in all virtuous and godly living, that we may come to those
ineffable joys that you have prepared for those who truly love
you; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy
Spirit lives and reigns, one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

BCP p.245

2 comments:

Grace thing said...

What a great idea! Your church service, I mean. I live in a neighborhood with a lot of people who are threatened and afraid of All Hallow's Eve...they fear that we are engaging the dark powers by celebrating this night. I am tired of our American culture being so disconnected with death. We have a lot to learn from other cultures who celebrate this day properly. I love your idea and wish I could have been there to sing "Dem Bones" with you.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Yes, this sounds so powerful. The only people I know who usually engage All Hallows/Samhain are pagans and that makes most Christians afraid of going to that thin place between the worlds.....