Sunday, June 08, 2008

Another year gone

In many ways it's hard to believe that I have been blogging long enough to be writing about yet another birthday, but it's true. I went back and read last year's post and I see that I have not done too well on the things I planned to accomplish this year. The cello remains unlearned, my Spanish is as rusty as ever, and the pile of books in the crate beside the bed has, if anything, grown rather than diminished, thanks at least in part to suggestions from some of you. In many ways it seems kind of like I just had that birthday. But in other ways, in some pretty important ways, I guess it seems like a very, very long time ago. Because a lot has happened in the last year. This blog has captured big pieces of it, important pieces of what was going on while I was not learning Spanish or the cello or reading the books in the crate. I don't think I would characterize this as the kind of year for those kinds of pursuits. Perhaps the coming year will be better suited to such things. Who knows? Time will tell.

I was a little worried about this birthday. The first one single in lots and lots of years. I wondered if it would be a contender for The Worst Birthday Ever. It would, I thought have to go some, as that one was a real whopper! I was in graduate school and working full time. My mother was in a nursing home and not doing well. My significant other at the time was shall we say, challenging....and was spending my birthday in the psych ward. What with one thing and another, I had forgotten to pay the electric bill, and sure enough...on my birthday...I came home from work to find the power shut off! So I took myself out to dinner at a place that had really good salads and THE most decadent flourless chocolate cake, and went home and read by candlelight till bedtime. Yeah, it was pretty fun!

I have full power today! And am feeling loved and cared for. There have been cards and e-mails and fun little gifts (including a floating frog thermometer for the hot tub from Soul Sister C). And this morning at the end of the service as I dismissed the congregation they all turned and sang Happy Birthday, complete with organ accompaniment! We then retired to the undercroft where I was feted with chocolate cheesecake and punch and given a baby rosebush!

The rest of the day has been intermittently Sabbathy. I have done little of use or note and that is just fine with me. After preaching a sermon that was way up there on the personal testimony, and thus scariness scale for me, I was pretty wiped out. I thought about nappage, but couldn't really settle into sleeping. So I putzed. I did manage to take the trash out and run a few bags to the Goodwill. I've been catching up on blog reading, and messed around with my recalcitrant printer until I wanted to start pitching it through the window. I think the hot tub is in the future later this evening. Maybe I'll make a dent in a book in that crate...or just watch HGTV. I'm thinking about carryout for dinner....I don't want to cook, and I'm thinking something tasty made by others is sounding good! Or on the other hand, there's always a bagel!

So there it is, another one of those firsts when you do that separation thing, sucessfully negotiated.

7 comments:

imngrace said...

Happy, happy (happy) birthday!

You will do more things like this as a single person. It is hard at first, but I think you did this day perfectly. And, how good of your congregation to notice and gather around you on this day and make you feel loved and special. Woo-hoo for them!

I hope this whole week feels like a new beginning and offers you some refreshment for whatever is next.

God_Guurrlll said...

Happy Birthday!!!

You are incredible!

Peace and love,

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This is a little late in the day, but happy, happy birthday. May the coming year be filled with unexpected blessings.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear it was NOT the WBE!!!

DogBlogger said...

(o)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday. Glad to hear that the day was full of blessings and wonderful people who wanted to celebrate you!

(and sorry this is a day late... consider it extending the birthday celebration just a bit!)

mid-life rookie said...

A very belated happy birthday. Blog reading has been out of the question for the last 12 days. I've read much of the following posts. You are still in my prayers.