Thursday, June 19, 2008

What I Did on My (One Day) Summer Vacation

Since I know that a number of you are just waiting with bated breath to know what I did today with my unexpected vacation day.....here are the juicy details! I've got to say, I was feeling the pressure. I looked at my time card yesterday and realized that I have a whole 2.9 hours of vacation right now. I accumulate about a day and a half a month. At that rate, I'm truly not going anywhere for the rest of the summer, so I felt like I'd really better have some big fun today. And there there was all that good advice to rest and do things that were fun and fed my soul. Which all flew in the face of my inner voices which told me this would be such a good day to Get. Things. Done. Well you will all be relieved to know....fun won!

I slept till seven. Practically the middle of the day for me. I made some inroads on my closet project. Then the real part of the vacation day began with a lovely walk in the local state park with the Maggies....mine and Soul Sister S's. We had a great time walking and collecting wood tics and planning a geocaching expedition with the Presbyterians! Ecumenical geocaching. It will be so good for my first time out. S almost got me a card from the cache in the park today She was sure she knew where it was because she had been there with another friend a few weeks ago, but it seemed not to be there...she says a "muggle" moved it...ok, I'm a believer!

Then I went home and washed ALL my sweaters to put away for the summer and hung them outside to dry because it was so gorgeous and hot and sunny. While they were washing I had lunch, and cleaned out the freezer (long on my to-do list), attacked a box from the basement (it all went to Goodwill or the trash) and made the grocery list. After that I went plant shopping-- whoo-hoo. I am now the proud mom of a grape tomato, a basil plant, a weiglia and burberry plant. The tomato and the basil got planted tonight, and tomorrow night S is coming over with some more plants she is giving me and we are sprucing up my front yard which is seriously lacking in curb appeal. I also grocery shopped to replace all the freezer burned crap I threw out of the freezer and came home and poached some chicken and had a healthy dinner. While the chicken cooked I scrubbed the kitchen floor, another of those put-off forever cuz I never have time chores! Then it was off to tai chi in S's beautiful yard on the river.

After Tai Chi I planted my tomato and basil, had some ice cream and finished off the day with a glass of wine in the hot tub.

All in all it was a good day. Some play, some work, some rest. Projects that have been "hanging" got tackled, but I also took some time to play and enjoy myself and spent time with someone I enjoy being with. If I can only have one vacation day this summer...I think I did it pretty well!

5 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

You sound much more energized. It cheered me up just to read how much you enjoyed your day.

Katherine E. said...

I love it when I can have FUN checking things off of my TO DO list. Good for you!

Terri said...

I thought I left a comment earlier this morning? well, anyway, I did stop by this morning and wanted to say - YAY for having a good one day "stay-cation" (that's the new word for a vacation that occurs by staying home)....

Jan said...

So glad you had such a nice day. I did Tai Chi when I was in Zambia but not since then. I'm glad you practice it.

zorra said...

That sounds very restful! I had to look up "weiglia".I guess they don't grow here (too hot, no doubt). It looks beautiful, though. enjoy your gardening!