Sophia says: "Last week Sally gave us a beautiful, spiritually reflective Friday Five, so it's time for something light and fluffy (literally). It's inspired by the fact that as I write this my dear spouse TechnoGuy, with the assistance of daughter Ladybug, is making a batch of chocolate chip pancakes with two Christmas presents. One is the Knott's Berry Farm mix which came along with jam, boysenberry syrup, and biscuit mix from my aunt (we ended up with two sets, since my parents passed theirs on to avoid sweet and carb-y temptation). The other is the large size Black and Decker electric skillet he was thrilled that I got him online -- our trusty wedding present normal size one still works at going on 20 years, but the Teflon is getting worn, and he wanted more cooking space. So pull up a chair to the kitchen table and tell us all about your pancake preferences."
1. Scratch or mix? Buttermilk or plain? My faves in the mix department are two. For sheer simplicity and never fail, I love all the the Krusteaz brands. Plain, Buttermilk, Blueberry...it's add water and off we go! For something a little more substantial in the mix version, I like Hodgson Mill's Buckwheat. They too are simple add in and go and they are really yummy!
2. Pure and simple, or with additions cooked in? Well...it depends on the day, the mood, the meal. Nothing, of course, could ever be as straightforward as yes or no on this one. My favorite addition overall is bananas, then a peanut butter/honey topping and a side of bacon. Yum-o as RR would say! Of course I also love potato pancakes...while not really an "addition"....really more the whole thing, they are just the best!
3. For breakfast or for dinner? You mean I have to choose?
4. Preferred syrup or other topping? How about the best side dish? Well...again, it depends on the cake....on the buckwheats, a good maple is best, on those banana guys, that peanut butter honey business, on a lighter cake, I like a berry, something a little tart maybe...maybe even some strawberries with sour cream around a crepe....like a blintz. Oh, dear, now I really am craving pancakes in all varieties.
5. Favorite pancake restaurant? IHOP....but the nearest one is three hours from here. So Perkins has to do.
Bonus: Any tasty recipes out there, for pancakes or other special breakfast dishes? Bring 'em on!
No recipes, but my other favorite breakfast thing is eggbake, especially the one our wonderful receptionist makes for special deals at work.