Friday, June 22, 2007

5 Things I Dig About Jesus Meme

This caught my eye over at Snow on Roses, and since a general invitation was issued to all comers I thought I’d take up the challenge. So here goes:

The Rules:

1. Those tagged will share 5 Things They Dig About Jesus.
2. Those tagged will tag 5 people.
3. Those tagged will leave a link to their meme in the comments section of this post so everyone can keep track of what's being posted. http://www.johnsmulo.com/5-things-i-dig-about-jesus-meme.html

5 Things:
1.Jesus was totally authentic.
2.Jesus spoke truth to power
3.Jesus thought we were worth dying for
4.Jesus trusted God.
5.Jesus loved.


Since the general tagging was issued I think that can just continue. I’m practicing a little rule breaking tonight. I have such struggles with links and I’d rather write than mess with it.
This grabbed me in the first place because of the title. Jesus and I have come a long way in the last couple years as my SD reminded me last night. When the discernment team met with me, one of them asked me about my relationship with Jesus, and I told them that I really was more comfortable relating to “God” in general and to Jesus not so much. Apparently I had somehow missed meeting Him. This has been rectified in the years since. Somehow in my RC upbringing I seem to have not heard much of the real Gospel. I am happy to say this has changed. And meeting Jesus in that Gospel has changed me, and continues to change me in ways that I don’t even begin to understand. “Personal relationships” and emotive testimony is not a hallmark of Midwestern Episcopalians. More than once since meeting Jesus I’ve thought it might be nice to have an altar call. I’d be first in line.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I still tend to talk more to God than to Jesus, so I appreciated you writing about that. I do pray the Jesus Prayer, so maybe that's me talking to Jesus. . . . How did you encounter Jesus? Through the gospels? Or prayer? Both?

Rev SS said...

# 4 .. Jesus trusted God!

"meeting Jesus in that Gospel has changed me, and continues to change me in ways that I don’t even begin to understand."

I relate. The more I "get" how he lived and how much he trusted God the more I am in awe/fear (in the original meaning of the word) of the Lord

“Personal relationships” and emotive testimony is not a hallmark of Midwestern Episcopalians"

I might add that these things do not appear to be hallmarks of most mainline churches in USA ... and I wonder, might that be part of the reason for its decline?