Friday, June 22, 2007

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five Hot Town Summer in the City.....

...or town, or suburb, or hamlet, or burg, or unincorporated zone, or rural area of your choice---pretty much anywhere but the southern hemisphere, it's summer. (Australians and others, consider this an invitation to take a break from winter for a while.)

1. Favorite summer food(s) and beverage(s) Food preferences: spicy and/or crispy and cold. Things like salads, gazpacho, nachos with really good fresh salsa or pico, fresh fruit....drinks of the tart and icy kind....margaritas are always good, or smoothies, iced cappucinos, or lattes.
2. Song that "says" summer to you. (Need not be about summer explicitly.) Just about anything by the Beach Boys. Guess I'm dating myself, but there you are!
3. A childhood summer memory. Day camp. I was seven maybe, a Brownie Scout. We had it in the big park up on the river bluffs. We made "sit-upons" from woven newspapers and ate campfire stew. It was my first time really "away" other than school, and it seemed like such an adventure. There were crafts and wonderful teen-aged counselors. Songs. Skits every day at the end of camp.
4. An adult summer memory. Visiting my friend Sue who was interning on an organic farm. We spent the whole day outside, working some, having good talk, driving the great horse team, lying in the cool shade resting drinking the best lemonade ever. That was the weekend of the "life changing conversation." Very memorable!
5. Describe a wonderful summer day you'd like to have in the near future. (weather, location, activities)Hot, beach, minimal
Optional: Does your place of worship do anything differently in the summer? (Fewer services, casual dress, etc.) We move the service an hour earlier and drop the formal choir. Otherwise, it doesn't change much.

6 comments:

Shawna Atteberry said...

The Beach Boys are my summer music too. Great answers.

Barbara B. said...

OK, now I'm hungry for nachos with an icy margarita!

Sally said...

yup my mouth is watering too- great play esp. those summer memories!

Diane M. Roth said...

I went to day camp (brownies) too...and learned to make fires and sing "Make new friends, and keep the old, one is silver and the other's gold." did you learn that one?

RevDrKate said...

I still have my original sheet music to the "Make New Fiends" song with my name printed on it in what looks like about my 10 year old hand writing!

chartreuseova said...

I did week-long overnight camp many years as a 4-Her. We sang "Make New Friends" too. And the other song that really brings back memories of those days is "Whisper a Prayer" We often sang that as we met on a grassy knoll overlooking a creek at sunset for devotions. I wonder if they still do that considering 4-H programs are part of the U.S.D.A of the federal gov't.