- What book have you read in the last six months that has really stayed with you? Why?My Soul Sisters Bible study is reading Fritz Kunkel's Creation Continues: A Psychological Interpretation of the Gospel of Matthew. We are moving very slowly through this book as it is thick and chewy and dense. We keep thinking we are done with a chapter and then one of us will say, "No wait, I need to say one more thing about..." and we are off and running again. It was written in 1946 and reissued in 56 and 71, it's now out of print and IMHO, should not be! There is so much depth and beauty in this book. It is re-enlivening the Gospel for me, yet again!
- What is one of your favorite childhood books? A Wrinkle in Time. Like so many other misfit kids....I finally found someone who wrote a story I knew.....
- Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? Do tell! Lately it's been Isaiah, but I'm a Bible-fickle kind of girl and I get hooked on something for a while and then something else. Last year it was John.
- What is one book you could read again and again? I read Anthony de Mello's Awareness every couple years because it has something new to say to me each time I read it.
- Is there a book you would suggest for Lenten reading? What is it and why? This Lent I'm reading Richard J Foster's Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home. It was suggested by my trusted soul friend C and it was love at first chapter. It's beautifully written, spiritually sound and very gentle. This Lent is going to about back to basics for me spiritually as well as being more nurturing to myself and this book fits the bill.
- And because we all love bonus questions, if you were going to publish a book what would it be? Who would you want to write the jacket cover blurb expounding on your talent? I think it would be poetry and essays about the journey of the last five years. Three of four RevGals gushing about knowing me when I was a mere blogger would be pretty awesome!
Friday, January 18, 2008
Friday Five:Read Any Good Books Lately?
RevHRod brings us a bookish Friday Five with the following questions: