Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Advent Continues.....

I felt the first chilling fingers of it this morning. That creeping darkness that affects so many denizens of the northern regions this time of year…the seasonal malady that puts a gray blanket over everything; that makes me cranky and sleepy and eaty and all those other little fellows. We are having winter in a way we have not for several years. That beautiful snow I waxed so poetic about last week has become a giant pain in the driveway. I don’t want to be here. I want to be in some warm sunny place where I don’t have to allow for scraping time in my schedule, and where I don’t have to be obsessive about mittening my poor little circulation-impaired fingers lest they go to icy stumps in seconds.

Those who do not wish to see Christmas too soon have nothing to fear from me. I am a bit Bah-Hum-Buggy at the moment. I have no desire to tree, to garland, to gift, to carol. Dressing, brushing and combing are quite enough for today, thank you.

I know what I need to do. I need to eat well, sleep enough, do my yoga, get my walks in, say my prayers…..maintain all those good things which maintain me. To that I say….well, never mind what I say…..

This is neither high-minded nor edifying. It is, as Kathryn would say, whingeing, I fear. And I have no clue what it all has to do with Advent, except there is a great deal of waiting for light involved in it all….and as pk said in a comment earlier this week, adventing is “releasing our inner torment to our Advocate.” I am all for that today.

4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

It's snowing here. can be beautiful... if you don't have to drive or see or anything...

Katherine E. said...

{{Kate}}

Terri said...

I hear you sister...it's snowing here and I'm just really glad to be indoors...

I posted my reflection for Advent 2 on the Feminist blog...stop by and leave a comment...or a critique....

Jan said...

((Kate)) Wish I could send you some sunshine from TX!