Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just Hand Over the Computer and No One Gets Hurt

OK, show of hands....how many of you remember the song "Suspicion?" Yeah, I know, I am really dating myself here, but it's been running through my head ever since yesterday when the sprightly young James called to tell me there was "bad news" on the computer front. It seems the lovely computer I had picked out, the Lenovo with all it's bells and whistles could not be mine for the price we had agreed upon but for over a hundred and fifty dollars more.

Apparently as near as I ever did get this it was due to some error in his telling me about changing the operating system from Vista to Windows, and my lack of some crucial disks from my old computer which might have made this possible. What it came down to though was that I could pay the hundred fifty bucks ....or.....I had to settle for a different computer. It was a different brand, one of the ones frequently sold in the "big box" stores. It had similar features to the Lenovo but it was not what we had agreed on Saturday, it was not the one he told me had such great dependability that he had "never seen one in for repairs" like the Lenovo. It had a different screen, one aircard vs. two....and he was, for some reason pushing it on me. I really could not afford to take the $150 hit, I needed the computer, so in the moment, I caved.

I had to take my old one in at lunch time for the data transfer anyway so I told him "fine, whatever, I'll see you at noon." But it was not all sitting well. I did not want the other computer. And I kept thinking about how hard he pushed that other one. What was that about, anyway? Dealer promo or something? Suspicion! And I was already bonding with that sleek little Lenovo, seeing her on my cute antique desk, imagining myself blogging away on her in bed late into the night. I was not happy about the other brand! Or the feeling that I might have been highjacked. When I got over to the store, James was out to lunch. Grace abounds! Even in computerland, I think. So I had a great chat with first another cute little high-school looking sales guy and then the store's owner and shared my concerns about not wanting computer B, why I wanted XP and not Vista in the first place, and despite glaze over, I think I even understood some of what they told me. Happy endings. The Lenovo is mine. OK, it is costing me $35 more. And I did go with the Vista operating system. I'm reassured that it will all be ok. That the compatibility horror stories I've heard in the past about Vista have been worked out, and the extra memory my $35 is getting me will take care of any other concerns. I told the man I hope he's truthin' me on this because I work across the street....it's really easy for me to get here, I could be here a lot....and I blog! He (who by the way looks a bit like the angels on my holy cards from grade school) smiled beatifically and said, "Yes, we want you to be happy." Indeed we do. He has no idea!

5 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad you didn't just give in but went and talked out what was going on. It sounds like the store needs to improve its staff's skills in communicating with customers.

Enjoy the new computer.

Terri said...

My husband, who used to sell computers and systems, highly recommends the Lenovo...that's what I'll get one I get me new one (sometime this fall, I have to save my money....)...so, I'm glad you stuck to your desires and got that one! I hope you love it and that Vista really is Ok!!!

Terri said...

Ok, what I meant to say is: that's the one I'll get when I get my new one...(sigh, the keyboard is really going on this old one)....

mid-life rookie said...

I'm glad it worked out. I was reluctant to go to Vista too. I came home and installed all my Bible software on my son's computer just to make sure it would run on Vista before I purchased. I understand that many of the early difficulties with Vista had to do with computers being sold without enough memory to really handle it. Now they all have scads of memory so that's not the issue. The only trouble I've had with Vista was sending emails through my work email. That was an issue with the server at work and there was a patch that fixed it. It's been 6 months and so far, so good with Vista. It even runs my really really old Hebrew software. Enjoy your new computer!

RevDrKate said...

Thanks for the Vista reassurance which fits with what angel Gabriel told me. Gee, Mompriest, I thought you were just developing a brogue! I love hearing that about Lenovos. I hope to bring her home tomorrow. I am typing tonight on the creaky desktop verrrry slowwwwly