Monday, December 08, 2008

The Advent of Winter for Real

If you would lik to be amused tonight, go here and enjoy. This came to me from our ministry team's mentor who was so amused by it the first time he forgot to send the link. I love it of course because it's Anglican but also because it reminds me of blog friends far away.

We are having weather normal for this time of year as well. My entire bathroom is draped in Maggie's and my outdoor gear. It all got a little soggy tonight when we walked in the falling snow. It was beautiful, but very aerobic as it had not yet been shoveled. There was a good coat of ice in places under the snow and the act of staying upright was challenging for the human. The dog's challenge was different as she found the snow up to her armpits in the drifts. She was very intrepid though and plowed right on through. It looks like for real winter out there. In here too where we brought it back in with us.

I'm not a big fan of this white cold season. But there was a beauty about it tonight. Cold. Still. Clear. Still clean, the snow unbroken by tracks other than ours. I can hear myself breathing on such a night, and perhaps hear myself think a little more clearly. Advent is moving very quickly as it always does. I always want there to be more of it, want it to last longer somehow. I am in another Advent now too, more than one really. They are different kinds of waitings. The shoe thing....that waiting of course cannot be short enough. "Be done with you now!" I say. But there is another. A friendship....one that may be more....one that is filled with anticipation....one that I do not want to take any chances on rushing....and yet somehow my heart keeps getting ahead of me on despite my best intentions. Just a few thoughts on a cold snowy walk.


5 comments:

Terri said...

Kate....I get the idea, the worry, the wonder, of waiting for the other shoe to drop....me too. And, it keeps dropping. I had no idea there could be so many shoes....

but better yet, your new friendship and the hope it brings with it....pure joy!

many blessings in these days and nights....

Rev SS said...

So happy for all the reasons you have for hope ... joining with MP in sending many blessings your way

imngrace said...

We walk in the same shoes these days, friend. Waiting and hoping and reigning in my heart along with you...
Prayers, too.

Gannet Girl said...

Also glad that your waiting is filled with hope.

Mary Beth said...

(o)