Monday, April 07, 2008

Distraction

In need of some distraction tonight I went and tried out for reader's theatre. The production is Willa Cather's My Antonia which is being done as part of the community's Big Read. All kinds of things are being done around this book, which is of course set on the prairie (not in our state, but close) during the month of April, and concluding with the play at the end of the month. The reader's theatre productions have caught on as they are a really low-stress way of doing productions, no memorizing, no costumes, no big sets. This will be the third one of these the theatre group has done. The Invisible Man and Dracula both were well-received last year. I was not in either of those. I had tried out for Drac but got passed over for a better screamer. There seem to be more roles in Antonia for women of a certain age, but who knows. I can handle a little rejection if it comes, I guess. My first stage success here in town as Golde in Fiddler my first summer here came as such a shock to me, it may well have been a fluke. The whole thing from start to finish will take two weeks, which will likely coincide with my first two weeks as a solo occupant in the house. Seems like a good plan. If it works out. Give me something to think about. A good distraction just till the dust settles.

6 comments:

Ruby said...

I love My Antonia! A community activity sounds like just what you need.

zorra said...

You played Golde?
Now that is a really cool Fun Fact about you.
If I'd known about the audition yesterday, I would have said: break a leg!

mid-life rookie said...

Lord, if this is the distraction rdk needs, let it be. If it isn't, please let the right one show up soon!

Diane M. Roth said...

I love that you played Golde! What a part!

Terri said...

wait!!! i seem to have missed something very important, some end of relationship? some major transition??? oh my. where have I been, my friend? prayers abounding for you. what more can i do?

RevDrKate said...

MP, yep, los of stuff happening...details have been coming in bits and pieces, but this weekend will be the Big Moveout for Dear One (who still is none the less) Thanks for the prayers....I am needing all I can get these days!