Wednesday, November 28, 2007

NaBloPoMo Gratitude #28

I have been doing counseling or therapy of some kind or another for over twenty years. In that time I think I have heard about almost every awful kind of misery a human being can experience as well as probably just about every kind of suffering one can inflict on another. But I have also had the great joy and privilege of seeing how amazingly resilient people can be, and how much healing the human soul and spirit are capable of. I have been entrusted with my client's most fragile selves, allowed to be part of some of the most incredible awakening moments in their lives. There have been moments when the very air has sparkled with the electricity of their self-discovery...and I got to be a witness! They have taught me things about the human mind, the human heart and the human soul that I would never have otherwise learned. They have taught me things about myself. Every year I get better at what I do, thanks in large part to my clients. They challenge me, deepen me, and open my heart. To all of them....I am grateful.

4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I like what you say about the resilience of the human spirit...something to be grateful for.

this is a wonderful discipline you've embarked on.

Di said...

I'm really glad you wrote this. I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by the bad stuff lately. Thanks for the reminder of resilience.

Terri said...

Being a therapist (guide for the human spirit and soul) is a true gift. Although I have an MSW, I am not really gifted with the patience for day in and out therapist mode...BUT I am so glad some people are!

also, duh...sometimes I am such a novice at this blogging stuff. In order for you to post directly to the Feminist blog I need your email address..that's how the "invitation" is sent. If you do not want to send me your email address then you can just send me the reflection and I'll post it.

To email me send it to: familyatpilarskidotcom.

or just let me know that you'd rather I post it...

Katherine E. said...

Oh, what a beautiful, post.